Personal Project

 Personal Project

March 24


Broccoli Cheese Soup Jacket
Quilted fabric, thrifted pillow cases, thread
size 8/10


Artist's Statement: This piece is called Broccoli Cheese Soup Jacket, which is a personal project based on a personal past. When I was young, my we had a quilted blanket that was yellow, blue, and green flowers. I remember not thinking it was the most attractive blanket, but to me, it resembled my favorite soup-- (broccoli cheese soup). The blanket was a part of our house for years and was featured in the forts we would build in the room that my sister and I shared, and we would use it to make "human tortillas", where one of us would wrap the other in the blanket as tightly as possible. My great aunt owned a sewing shop, and made my family hand-made gifts. One of them was the broccoli cheese soup blanket. 
In my last semester of college, I found myself particularly sentimental about my childhood. When I found a fabric at the store that looked just like my broccoli cheese soup blanket, I knew it was a sign to create a piece that would allow me to take a fond detail of my childhood and embed it into a piece that I can use as an adult, as a safety blanket, or jacket, as I move into the really world. 


Sketches

In-Process





Research

1. I found these pieces inspirational in their soft colors, geometric patterns, and mixture of textures to create something new. 

https://textilesatflaglercollege.blogspot.com/search/label/Applique%20Student%20Work






2. Ali Ferguson is a textile artist who does amazing patchwork from various objects including paper, fabrics, hardware, and wood. I love the fact that the viewer is immediately immersed into another person's reality or story--it's very vulnerable. I would like to create something of this nature as my college time is ending and I want something scrapbook-esc to take with me.  






3. I have found multiple examples online, including works from:

Playdate Vintage

Instagram: @playdate_vintage






Sissel Edelbo
Instagram: @sisseledelbo

The patchwork is sourced from recycled saris. 



Sketches

Patchwork material examples:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surface Pattern Design

A Few Of My Favorite Things