Surface Pattern Design



Surface Pattern Design

Feb 13


Pattern Detail




In-Progress














Research

 Research #1 (Liz Magor)

Liz Magor is an artists who makes uncanny casts of regular objects, such as fabrics, coats, and boxes. Since I was searching for textile artists, I did not understand at first that these pieces were not ordinary plaid textile designs, but they are casts of fabric. I find it interesting how Liz chose the particular patterns in trying to create something that looks "ordinary"... is plaid the most ordinary pattern?





Research #2 (Joiri Minaya)

Joiri Minaya is a New York-based artist. from the Dominican Republic who is hyper fixed on patterns, and the labor that goes on behind them. Minaya finds it interesting that women are often the ones creating patterns. Minaya also finds "patterns" in the way that women pose, particularly on vacation, and uses such images in her work. I love pattern design and hadn't considered these things about patterns before. I don't think I could destroy  hand-painted patterns after I finish, like Minaya did as a performance piece. 


Sketches






Research #3 (Ann Hamilton)

Ann Hamilton finds metaphors in sewing and connection between thread and a line of pencil drawing. The connection between the line that makes something is related to how we make something with language, so Ann always tries to include text in every piece. Ann believes walking into a space to put in an installation piece changes everything. Your mind and skin makes observations of the light, temperature, etc. that might change the way a piece would sit in the room. Ann is a very abstract thinker, and sees materials in a very unique way. She created a pinhole camera from her mouth because she found that her voice was not from her throat, but it was in her hands and her mouth and her mind. Her use of material is inspiring to me. This out-of-the-box thinking about materials could help any artist. 


Reflection Statement


The main goal in creating this pattern was to include multiple processes, and with this design, I am able to use graphic/printed ink that leaves room for hand-dye as well. Once the design is printed, the fabric will be hand-dyed with logwood, hopefully, to create even more unique and earthy colouring mixed with the printed ink. This design was inspired by a crazy dream about duality, where the sparrow represents hope and all things good. My original sketch included a raven or crow which represented the opposite, but as an optimistic art choice, I left those out in the final sketch. My intent is to visually communicate a beautiful bird pattern inspired by nature and imagination in its earthy yet imaginative colors and design elements. 

I have always wanted to try Spoonflower, and I've made patterns for it, but have never gone through with printing out a design on fabric! I am so excited about this and I hope it works out. The making of this fabric will be beneficial not only for my surface pattern design, but for real-world use, where I can use it in sewing pockets, tote bags, and more. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few Of My Favorite Things